Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Recipe: Mac & Cheese "In A Mug"

I recently found a recipe on Pinterest for making single serve Mac & Cheese in a mug in the microwave. 

Since I have a massive amount of dry pasta sitting in my cupboard, and hardly any time to make a full bechamel sauce these days, I figured I'd give this microwave option a try.  Can't have the blue box all the time...

I had just had a party where I served cheese and wine and crackers and there was a bit of cheese left over, so I figured this might be the perfect opportunity to try the recipe.

Not to mention, I was really excited to not spend a ton of time cooking since I had just spent the entire morning preparing for guests to arrive, and then spent a fair amount of the evening cleaning up afterwards.

First, the recipe calls for 1/3 cup of dry elbow macaroni to be mixed with 1/4 cup of water in a large mug (or in my case, bowl) and then put in the microwave for 6 minutes, stirring at 4, 2, and 1 minute left.

I noticed that I needed to use a lot more water than the recipe called for.  My noodles actually started to cook and harden after 2 minutes.  I would probably try 1/2 cup water for every 1/3 cup pasta next time.  Reminder to self: will need to experiment with ratios...

Then, add 1/3 cup cheese (the recipe calls for shredded Cheddar Jack, but I just used the leftover sharp cheddar cubes I already had).

I placed the noodles and cheese back into the microwave for another 30 seconds.  Then, after a simple stir and a splash of milk, it turned out pretty great, other than my noodles that were a little hard, but I'm guessing that's from the moment when they almost cooked without water. 

In the future, I would probably want a little bit more in my serving, but it's not too hard to mess with the proportions.  Not a bad idea for a lazy night after work when I need a quick bite.

1/3 cup pasta

Adding 1/4 cup water

Time to add 1/3 cup cheese

Give it a stir...

Add some milk and done!
Enjoy, readers! :)  Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment