Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: Fat Angel Food & Libation

Fat Angel Food & Libation
1740 O'Farrell St, San Francisco
fatangelsf.com

Yummm
This past weekend, I stopped in at Fat Angel before attending a concert at the Fillmore.  I had heard that they had a killer mac and cheese, so when I saw how close they were to the venue, I knew I had to stop in.

The restaurant wasn't nearly as busy as I expected it to be, but I suppose that had a lot to do with there be an NBA Finals game on at the same time and Fat Angel doesn't have a TV.  Note for future reference, if you are hoping to watch a game somewhere, this probably isn't the place.  But!  If you are looking for a great mac and cheese, look no further because we have a new addition to the Top Ten list!  Congrats to Fat Angel!

The cheese sauce is spicy, which I haven't seen offered in too many restaurants.  While I'm not usually a fan of spicy dishes, I could appreciate the flavor and how it made this particular mac and cheese so unique.  They use a blend of Gruyere, Cheddar, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.  To add the spicy kick, they throw in some cayenne.  The cooked cheese that forms a crust around the edges and top of the dish is delicious and is complimented well by cooked breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.

Yep, that's a good helping right there
Surprisingly, even though it was spicier than I normally prefer, I ate practically the whole dish.  The cheese sauce was creamy and held well to the pasta.  There wasn't any kind of watery remains, which can often happen in a skillet due to an excess of fat oils that didn't congeal in the hot serving platter.  That sounds lovely, right?  Haha.  But none of that present here.  Just some good, creamy sauce with a spicy flavor that, if you are like me, will have you drinking many glasses of water.

All that said, I encourage you to give Fat Angel a try!  It has the You Don't Know Mac Top Ten stamp of approval... for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment